A boxed set of 15 Gustav Emil Ern knives from Gilberts Food Equipment, as used by Marco Pierre White in ITV's Hell's Kitchen, is up for grabs in this month's competition
While most of the equipment in a kitchen will be used by the whole brigade, knives are often a chef's personal possession, kept under lock and key. Years of working with the same knives brings an intimate knowledge of what they can do and how best to use them.
A chef will usually have a favoured make of knife. For the recent series of ITV's Hell's Kitchen, Marco Pierre White chose Gustav Emil Ern knives, which are manufactured in Solingen, Germany (known as the City of Blades).
Buy It! has teamed up with Gilberts Food Equipment, which supplied the knives to Hell's Kitchen, to offer readers the chance to win a Gustav Emil Ern knife set and case worth £1,200.
How to enter
One lucky reader who can answer the question below correctly will win this amazing prize.
All entries must be submitted on a postcard by 15 October. Entrants should include their name, job title, company name and address and contact telephone number. Send entries to Gilberts/Gustav Emil Ern Knives Competition, Caterer and Hotelkeeper, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS.
Which German city is known as the City of Blades?
The winner will receive a lockable magnetic knife case with 15 fully forged and riveted Gustav Emil Ern knives, plus accessories such as ballers, zesters and sharpening steels, worth a total of more than £1,200.
Gustav Emil Ern knives are forged according to traditional methods from one piece of superior-grade stainless steel to guarantee a superior and longer-lasting cutting edge. The carefully controlled process combines several stages of superheating and supercooling to produce a perfectly balanced knife of lasting quality and strength, which is guaranteed to give exceptional performance whether preparing hard root vegetables, such as potatoes or parsnips, or performing precise tasks such as fine carving, filleting and slicing.
For further information on Gustav Emil Ern knives call Gilberts Food Equipment on 0845 300681 or visit the company website here >>
Terms and conditions
1. This competition is not open to employees or agents of Reed Business Information or Gilberts Food Equipment.
2. We reserve the right to change the prize without notice, and no cash alternative will be offered.
3. The winner will be selected at random from correct entries, and the publisher's decision is final.
4. Reed Business Information will use the contact information you provide to communicate with you on behalf of the Caterer Group. We may also use the information you have provided to send direct marketing material from ourselves relating to other products and services that may be of interest to you. Your information may also be disclosed to other companies who wish to send you information about their products and services, including our sponsor, Gilberts Food Equipment. This could involve data transfer to countries outside the European Economic Area. For further information and choices please visit our data protection page here or write to us at RBI, Freepost RCC2619, Haywards Heath RH16 3BR.
5. The winner's name will appear in Caterer and Hotelkeeper and on Caterersearch.com.