Don and Sheila Lupton from Ripton, North Yorkshire, have bought the Muncaster Country guest house on the outskirts of the West Cumbrian village of Ravenglass.
It was built in 1868 as St Michaels Church of England school by Lady Muncaster to educate the children of workers from MuncasterCastle and Ravenglass, becoming a guesthouse in 1967.
The detached property, made from local red sandstone, is set in three-quarters of an acre of gardens that include car parking and a walled and tree-lined courtyard.
It is in a prime location for access to the Western Lake District and is near the start of Hadrian's Cycle Way.
It provides seven bedrooms to sleep 14, a lounge and 12-seat dining room, and a conservatory-style garden dining area that leads to the patio and garden.
There is also a three-bedroom owners' flat on the first floor and a self-contained, one-bedroom manager's flat that could easily be converted into two extra letting bedrooms.
The Manchester office of Colliers Robert Barry sold the freehold off a guide price of £525,000 on behalf of Ron and Janice Stringer.
By Angela Frewin