Eighteen of the UK and Ireland's top hotels were honoured in Condé Nast Johansens Annual Awards for Excellence ceremony, held in London yesterday.
The awards, which took place in The Carlton Tower, Knightsbridge, saw hotels from the UK and Ireland taking the top awards for service, value for money and excellence.
Last night's host venue walked off with the Most Excellent London Hotel accolade. Judges described the Carlton Tower as, "Simply the perfect hotel. It provides a little of the best of everything."
North-east-based Matfen Hall was named Most Excellent Venue Hotel, just six years after opening. Director and general manager of Matfen Hall, David Hunter, said that the award was a welcome recognition of the hotel's rapid growth and high standards.
"It has gone from being a small country house hotel in rural Northumberland to one of the leading independent hotels in the UK. The award absolutely confirms this," he said.
The Best Value for Money title went to County Galway's Renvyle House Hotel, which dates back to 1541.
And Champagne Taittinger's wine list award winner 2006 was the Cottage in the Woods, Malvern Wells in Worcestershire. Described by the judges as "a tour de force of a wine list that amuses with its quirky touches".
The winners were chosen from a combination of guest nominations, surveys and the views of Condé Nast Johansens's regional inspectors.
Condé Nast Johansens provides reference guides to independently owned hotels and resorts in Great Britain, Europe and the Americas.
Full list UK & Ireland
- Most Excellent London Hotel - The Carlton Tower, Knightsbridge in London.
- Most Excellent City Hotel - The Cranley, South Kensington in London.
- Most Excellent Coastal Hotel - The Romney Bay House, New Romney in Kent.
- Most Excellent Country House - Tan-Y-Foel Country House in Gwynedd.
- Most Excellent Traditional Inn - The Inn at Whitewell near Clitheroe.
- Most Excellent Restaurant - The Leatherne Bottel Riverside Restaurant, Goring on Thames.
- Most Excellent Value for Money - Renvyle House Hotel, Country Galway.
- Most Excellent Service - Toravaig House, Sleat on the Isle of Skye.
- Most Excellent Spa - Park Hotel Kenmare and Samas in Country Kerry.
- Most Excellent Venue Hotel - Matfen Hall, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- Most Excellent Dedicated Venue - Castle Ashby, Northamptonshire.
- Most Excellent Conference Centre - Theobalds Park.
- Condé Nast Johansens Readers Award - Northcote Manor Country Hotel and Restaurant, Devon.
By Jen Crothers
Get your copy of Caterer and Hotelkeeper every week - click here to subscribe and save 25%.
|Sudoku Join the craze and play Sudoku online!|