Bottled water is set to become the second most popular soft drink after fizzy drinks by 2008, according to new research from Highland Spring.
Water sales account for 15% of the UK soft drink market, but are predicted to increase to 21% within three years.
Still water makes up the majority of sales (86%) in the £1.2b bottled water market, which sees UK consumers quenching their thirst with more than two billion litres a year.
The star growth area for bottled water sales is in the workplace, which grew 76% in the last year and now accounts for more than a third of the market (37%).
The report, Liquid Assets, also found half of adults who drink wine in restaurants or hotels (52%) prefer to have bottled water with it.
Restaurant-goers often prefer sparkling water with meals, and prefer water from glass bottles.
Hoteliers should also take note that 63% of visitors want bottled water in their hotel rooms, and most prefer chilled still water, so stocking bottled water in a minibar is a must.
- A third of hotel guests drink water before bed or first thing after waking.
- Still water makes up 86% of bottled water sales.
- The UK bottled water market is worth £1.2b and growing.
- Glass is more popular than plastic.
- Water sales account for 15% of UK soft drink sales.
Source: Highland Spring