Ingredients (Serves six)
100g unsalted butter
200g brown sugar
10 ripe Victoria plums, halved and stoned
5 ripe Conference pears, sliced
5 Cox Orange Pippins apples, cored and sliced
450g tub Cornish clotted cream
50g hazelnuts, shelled and peeled
Grated zest of one orange
Method 1. Put the butter and sugar in a small, heavy-bottomed pan.
2. Heat gently, stirring all the while.
3. When the sugar has nearly melted, add the fruit and 40g of hazelnuts
4. Cook for five minutes, or until the fruit is soft and caramelised.
5. Meanwhile, lightly stir in the cream.
6. Serve the fruit with a spoon of cream and top with a sprinkling of orange zest and the remainder of the hazelnuts.
By Ray Hart, Southgate College, London