Part of Eastbourne's Claremont hotel collapses following fire
Part of the 72-bedroom Claremont hotel in Eastbourne, which was ravaged by fire six days ago, has collapsed.
Crews from the East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service returned to the scene yesterday and identified that one of the chimney stacks looked unstable in the wind.
The area was cleared to ensure everyone's safety. At around 4.15pm part of the rear wall and chimney stack collapsed.
The cause of the fire, which spread rapidly through the Grade II-listed, Victorian building, is being investigated. All guests and staff were evacuated from the building, with six people treated for minor injuries.
The hotel is believed to be owned by Jeanne Wilson, under the Daish's Holidays group. According to the group's website, Wilson acquired the hotel in 2013. The group comprises 10 hotels and 24 luxury coaches.