Barletta restaurant in Margate, Kent, has announced it will close next week after losing £50,000 to scammers.
The restaurant, which is located in the Turner Contemporary art gallery, launched a £50,000 crowdfund after being hit by fraudsters last month, which raised nearly £6,500, however co-owner Natalia Ribbe (pictured above right) said in a post on social media that funds would be refunded or donated to industry charity Hospitality Action.
"We are deeply saddened to share the news that Barletta will be closing its doors. The impact of fraudulent activity on our bank account, compounded by the increase in energy bills and cost of living crisis has made it impossible for us to carry on. This was not the outcome we were hoping for, but it is the one we must make," the post said.
"Our last day of trading will be Friday 9th December. In the lead up to our final day we will cook off all the hits (yes, those carrots) and end with one last dinner to say farewell."
Despite asking for compensation, Ribbe told The Caterer that her bank was not signed up to the voluntary Contingent Reimbursement Model code designed to protect victims of scams.
Ribbe and Jackson Berg opened the restaurant in 2019.