Buying an energy-saving fridge is only the first step. The real key to cutting energy consumption and costs lies with the operator using the equipment properly.
Many caterers fail to realise the appliances (which run 24/7) do need attention during the warranty period and are unaware that neglecting basic maintenance - along with uneven levelling and unauthorised servicing - can invalidate their guarantees.
Cleaning the condenser at least once a month is an invaluable investment that can help prolong the life of the condenser and reduce energy consumption. Otherwise residues of dirt and grease will force the condenser to run for longer than necessary just to maintain the desired temperature.
Keeping fridge doors closed - and checking door gaskets - will also reduce the burden on the compressor having to cool down warm air that has leaked in. And it is worth ensuring that the fridge is not running any colder than it needs to as each degree of temperature reduction uses more power. General produce is best stored at 5°C.
Product Zone has teamed up with Garrlins to offer readers the chance to win a Unifrost R500W fridge worth £750.
The winner will receive a Unifrost R500W upright fridge with a massive 520-litre capacity and temperature range of 0°C to +10°C. This economic storage cabinet is easy to load and designed for medium usage or bulk back-up food preservation. There are three GN 2/1 size shelves included with the fridge which has smooth, wipe clean exterior panels to ensure the best hygiene control. As well as forced air cooling, the unit also features a quality compressor, lockable door, stain-resistant shelving, digital display, bottom-mounted motor and rear castors as standard. The R500W measures 775mm (w) x 720mm (d) x 1,720mm (h) and is manufactured using hi-density polyurethane insulation and zero ozone depleting R134a refrigerant.
HOW TO ENTER
Caterer and Hotelkeeper, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS or enter online at below.
And the winner is…
The winner of http://www.reedbusiness." target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">July's competition for an Instanta CH1000 ](http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2011/07/28/339509/win-an-instanta-ch1000-combined-boiler-and-chiller-worth-more-than.html)combined boiler and chiller is Raman Julka, general manager, Ibis Borehamwood, Elstree Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire
How many shelves come as standard on the Unifrost R500W refrigerator?
Terms and conditions
1. This competition is not open to employees or agents of Reed Business Information, or Garrlins.
2. We reserve the right to change the prize without notice and no cash alternative will be offered.
3. The winner will be selected at random from correct entries, and the publisher's decision is final.
4. By entering the competition you are agreeing for your contact details (including e-mail) to be passed on to the sponsor Garrlins.
5. Reed Business Information will use the contact information you provide to communicate with you on behalf of the Caterer Group. We may also use the information you have provided to send direct marketing material from ourselves relating to other products and services that may be of interest to you. Your information may also be disclosed to other companies who wish to send you information about their products and services. This could involve data transfer to countries outside the European Economic Area. For further information and choices please visit our data protection page at [www.reedbusiness. co.uk/dataprotection or write to us at RBI, Freepost RCC2619, Haywards Heath,West Sussex RH16 3BR, UK.
6. The winner's name will appear in Caterer and Hotelkeeper and on Catererandhotelkeeper.com.