Soho restaurant fire sparks evacuation

24 December 2014 by
Soho restaurant fire sparks evacuation

A fire in a Soho restaurant caused Christmas diners to be evacuated from nearby bars and restaurant, alongside revellers at Ronnie Scott's jazz club.

The fire on Frith Street is believed to have started in the extraction system of Delhi Brasserie.

Around 30 firefighters tackled the blaze yesterday afternoon. There were no reports of any injuries.

A member of staff at Ceviche restaurant, who gave her name as Katie, told the Evening Standard: "There was a lot of black smoke. It all happened very fast. It seemed to be coming from the roof and then the street flooded with black smoke.

"All the poor people from Ronnie Scott's had to run out in their party hats - they do Christmas lunches there at this time of year. But we weren't scared for our business, it was quite clear it was an isolated incident.

"It was certainly something you don't see every lunchtime. It was exciting for a few minutes. We were glad that we weren't affected and we were glad that Ronnie Scott's didn't burn down."

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking