Peter Vaughan, chef-proprietor of Devizes restaurant The Bistro, has been found guilty of failing to ensure the health, safety and welfare of the staff at his Wiltshire restaurant.
Vaughan, who appeared at Devizes Magistrates' Court yesterday, admitted to failing to make a sufficient risk assessment for his staff.
Vaughan was fined a total of £2,700 and ordered to pay £3,944 costs after the case was brought by Kennet District Council for offences against the Health & Safety at work Act 1974, following an explosion at The Bistro in March last year.
During the explosion, which occurred when a handheld portable blowtorch exploded, a kitchen assistant was wounded suffering severe burns to his face and arms.
Mandy Bradley, environmental protection and housing services manager at Kennet District Council, told a local paper: "This case illustrates the need for employers to be aware of the hazards within their workplace and make certain adequate controls are put in place to prevent accidents."
By Kerstin Kühn