Blackheath restaurant hit by fire

09 January 2014 by
Blackheath restaurant hit by fire

The Saffron Club Indian and Nepalese restaurant in London's Blackheath has been hit by fire.

The London Fire Brigade confirmed that it had been called to a restaurant fire on Tranquil Vale at 3.22pm today.

Around 20 firefighters are currently in attendance and part of the basement is reported to have been damaged.

The three-storey building has the restaurant on the ground floor and flats above. One onlooker took to Twitter (@g_frizz) to say: "Saffron Club indian restaurant in Blackheath is ablaze - fire crews in attendance, breaking down the door."

The London Fire Brigade said there were no reports of anyone being hurt.

The restaurant was closed at the time of the incident, although there were staff on site at the time.

When contacted, a spokesman for the restaurant described the incident as relatively minor, having occurred while the tandoor oven was being cleaned, although he declined to comment further.

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking