Liverpool consults on scrapping late night levy

05 October 2022 by
Liverpool consults on scrapping late night levy

Liverpool City Council has launched a consultation on whether the city's late night levy should continue or be amended.

The council introduced the levy in April 2017 under the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011. Holders of premises licences or club premises certificates that supply alcohol between midnight and 6am on one or more days in a year must pay a late night levy.

The levy is set by the government and is a yearly amount between £299 and £4,440, depending on the rateable value of the premises and their actual use.

At the time, the council decided that 70% would be paid to the Merseyside Police and Crime Commissioner, and the council would apply the remaining 30% in accordance with the relevant legislation.

Possible amendments could include reducing the late night supply period (currently the maximum period allowed is midnight to 6am), or adding to or reducing the categories of exemptions (which currently apply to businesses that serve alcohol during this time only on New Year's Day or are already subject to a Business Improvement District levy).

The consultation is being managed by independent group Night Time Economy Solutions, which is seeking opinions from stakeholders, the trade, residents associations, charities, responsible authorities, local councillors and MPs on whether the levy should continue or, if amendments are to be made, what it should look like.

Businesses have been invited to respond to the consultation with a focus group session to take place on 26 October for the licensed trade.

The results will help to inform the making of any formal proposal to cease or vary the levy with effect from 1 April 2023. The consultation will end on 28 October 2022.

The consultation follows Nottingham's decision to scrap its late night levy earlier this year to "ease financial pressure on local businesses".

Photo: Andres Conema/Shutterstock

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking