Investment in UK hotels has topped £13b in the past decade, and is set to continue with 9,300 rooms planned for 2014 and 2015 in London, and over 14,700 rooms elsewhere in the UK.
That's according to the Institute of Hospitality, which has today released its Hospitality Digest - a 190-page annual publication with key facts and figures on the hospitality industry.
"We believe it complements the information that is available in our library and builds the Institute's reputation as an up-to-date source of knowledge on the hospitality industry."
Using figures provided by construction consultant Gleeds the Digest calculates that over £13.6bn has been invested in the UK hotel industry in new hotel construction, rebranding and refurbishment over the past decade, with the largest amount (£4.9bn) being spent in London.
But this figure excludes professional fees, land costs, start-up costs and finance during construction and is undoubtedly a conservative estimate since it is impossible to estimate the cost of refurbishing many independently owned hotels.
The document also includes eight articles on trends in the industry, from contributors including hotel consultant Melvin Gold, consultant Bob Cotton, consultant David Battersby, and chairman of Hospitality Industry Training John Hyde.
Hospitality Digest 2014, edited by consultants Miles Quest, Melvin Gold and - Peter Backman and produced for the Institute of Hospitality by Wordsmith and Company, is the most comprehensive compendium of data available on the UK hospitality and foodservice industry, much of it original, containing 190 pages of facts, figures, information and opinion about the UK hospitality industry, including:
- 123 tables
- Details of 150 largest hotel companies in the UK
- Outlet and meal numbers in main foodservice sectors
- Leading restaurant, quick service restaurant, coffee shop and pub operators
- Hotel openings in 2013, with openings for 2014, 2015 and beyond
- Key hotel property transactions and hotel operation and occupancy statistics
- Insolvencies in main sectors
- Numbers of sector workers
- Wages and salaries in all sectors of the industry
- Articles and data on number of workers in all main sectors, apprenticeships, qualifications and course content.
Hospitality Digest 2014, in PDF format only, is priced at £245 (£145 to Institute members) and is available for download from the Institute of Hospitality, 34 West Street, Sutton, Surrey SM1 1SH (020 8661 4900).