What does this job involve?
- Managing a team of receptionists and making sure the front desk offers a warm welcome, and a speedy, efficient check-in and check-out.
- You may also be responsible for telephone sales. Even in large hotels, the department may take sales calls outside office hours.
- Shift work and rota planning
- Dealing with customers, particularly when they come to the desk to complain
What skills and attributes do I need?
- Communication skills
- A calm a level head in stressful and awkward situations
- People-management skills
- Organisation skills
How can I get this job?
There are a number of vocational courses available and many hotel companies offer training programmes for reception staff to gain the specific skills they require. These may include telephone skills and handling complaints.