The De Vere Selsdon Estate in Croydon has unveiled the results of its £5m refurbishment.
The estate, part of Principal Hotel Company's De Vere portfolio of country estate hotels and event spaces, has seen the creation of a new restaurant, Burr & Co coffee shop, orangery and reception area, as well as the full refurbishment of 54 bedrooms and six meeting rooms.
The Victorian mansion house has been renovated to bring it in line with the new De Vere brand standards. The investment also includes the creation of a new presidential suite (pictured), and a further 96 bedrooms will be refurbished in the next phase of works.
The new destination restaurant, 1042, looks out onto the 18-hole championship golf course which surrounds the property.
General manager Matthew Brierley said: "We're delighted with the results of the refurbishment. The makeover has breathed new life into what is a landmark Victorian estate."
The estate was transformed into a country house hotel after being bought by Alan Doble Sanderson in 1924; however, the estate's history has been traced back to 861AD and it is believed to have formerly served as an Anglo-Saxon hall and a medieval estate of the Knights Templar.
The grounds are in the process of being enhanced by Principal Hotel Company's head of estates management Justin Turner, including sculptures by artist Emma Stothard. A leisure centre has also recently been refurbished, as was the golf course, designed in 1929 by five-time British Open champion JH Taylor.
Videos from The Caterer archives