Contract caterer Bartlett Mitchell scooped the Best Hospitality and Leisure Employer award at industry champion Springboard's annual awards dinner at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium in north London last night (29 November).
The judges paid tribute to the company's "joined-up" approach to people, adding: "They have innovative ideas you'd normally expect to see in large organisations. They've demonstrated they can really walk the walk."
Springboard's special award, the Chris Beaumont Award went to the Royal Lancaster hotel for demonstrating the most outstanding contribution to Springboard's aims this year with placements for the disadvantaged and a focus on total team involvement throughout the organisation.
Brian Hladnik, deputy managing director of Lancaster Landmark Hotels, said: "Over the last two years a huge amount of work has gone into training and improving our service standards. An award like this recognises this achievement and will be a great motivator for all the staff."
London's Berkeley hotel won the International Award, recognising the hotel's innovative approach to recruiting people from overseas, in particular its links with universities in India and Germany.
The Ambassador's Award, which recognises the person who has most raised the profile of the industry, went to Andy Aston, supervising chef at fine-dining contract caterer Restaurant Associates for "work over and above the call of duty".
Springboard chief executive Anne Pierce said: "This year's winners are outstanding in terms of the quality and range of approaches they have used in adopting best practice.
"It just shows how far the industry has come over the last few years and gives us the chance to showcase the best we have to offer and promote our sector as a great place to work."
- Best Employer - Hospitality & Leisure Bartlett Mitchell
- Chris Beaumont Award Royal Lancaster Hotel
- Ambassador's Award Andy Aston, supervising chef, Restaurant Associates
- International Award Berkeley hotel, London
- Best Employer - Travel & Tourism Thomas Cook
- Best Regional Initiative Cornwall College
- Web Award Marriott Hotels International
- Education Award - Large Organisation Compass Group UK & Ireland
- Education Award - Small Organisation Foxes Academy
- Young People Award Cumbria Tourism
- Diversity in Employment Award Village Hotel & Leisure Club, Hull
- Best Student Placement Provider - Large Mitchells & Butlers
- Best Student Placement Provider - Small The Lavender House, nr Norwich
- Best Career Progression Award Compass Group UK & Ireland
- Retention Award RCI Global Vacation Network
- Recruitment Award - Hospitality & Leisure Harvey Nichols
- Recruitment Award - Travel & Tourism First Choice
- Corporate Citizenship Award Dorset Police