Ingredients (Serves four)
10 king scallops
1 root salsify
1 bunch fresh watercress
1. Cut each scallop in half and set aside.
2. Peel the salsify, removing the eyes, and wash well. Cut the salsify into thin slices.
3. In a pan of boiling, salted water blanch the salsify until al dente. Quickly refresh and leave to cool.
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan until very hot. Add a small amount of olive oil, salt and pepper to each scallop. Seal the scallops lightly on each side, being careful not to overcook.
5. In another pan, sauté the salsify until golden.
6. To serve, place salsify on the center of the plate. Place the scallops on top, and scatter the watercress over.
Recipe supplied by Simon Garbutt, head chef, the Feathers hotel, Oxford