Caterers this week slammed the Government's decision to delay its announcement on school meal standards.
The announcement, which was expected from the Government on Monday (8 May), has been pushed back following Labour's poor showing in last week's local government elections, and Ruth Kelly's exit from the Department for Education and Skills.
Kevin MacKay, chairman of the Local Authority Caterers Association, said another hold-up was bad news for the sector.
"It's very late in the day as it is. Caterers and contractors need to know where they stand as soon as possible," he said.
The Department for Education and Skills denied there had been a delay. "A decision is expected shortly," a spokesman said.
By Tom Bill