Ingredients 100ml dry sherry
2 punnets English strawberries
250ml clotted cream
3 vanilla pods
Extra berries to decorate
For the sponge 8 eggs
250g caster sugar
For the custard 550ml double cream
150g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod split
9 egg yolks
For the strawberry jelly
4 Leaves gelatine
1 x 220ml ladle of strawberry sauce [below]
For the strawberry sauce
115g caster sugar
Sponge Method 1. Preheat oven to 150°C.
2. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
3. Beat the eggs and sugar until white.
4. Sift in the flour and stir gently.
5. Spread over the baking sheet and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden and set.
6. Leave to cool.
Custard Method 1. Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla pod and place into the cream.
2. Bring to just under the boil.
3. Mix the egg yolks and caster sugar, add the flour.
4. Whisk the cream on to the egg mixture.
5. When mixed return to the pan and cook on a low heat until thick and creamy.
Strawberry sauce method 1. Bring the strawberries and sugar to the boil in a little water.
2. Liquidise and leave to cool.
Jelly method 1. Soak the gelatine in water.
2. Bring the rest of the ingredients to the boil.
3. Add the gelatine, strain and stir until smooth.
Trifle method 1. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pods and stir into the clotted cream.
2. Break the cooled sponge into pieces and place into the bottom of a bowl or glass and sprinkle sherry over them.
3. Chop the strawberries and place on to the sponge.
4. Just cover with the jelly and cool in fridge until set.
5. When set, cover the sponge and jelly with a layer of custard.
6. Finish with a thick layer of clotted cream.
7. Decorate with the berries and anything else that you want such as chocolate cut outs or sugar spirals.
By John Woodward, executive chef, Tower 42, London