This is the starting position for a career in hotel and restaurant kitchens. Job titles and responsibilities vary.
What does this job involve?
- Preparing food and basic cooking, under the supervision of more experienced chefs. Ideally, you should move around the different areas of the kitchen, to get the widest possible experience before you consider specialising in a particular area.
- Maintaining high standards of hygiene
- Maintaining accuracy in measuring dish ingredients and portions sizes
- Handling deliveries, stock rotation and requisitioning of stock
What skills and attributes do I need?
- An aptitude in the kitchen
- The ability to listen to others and follow instructions
How can I get this job?
Catering colleges are the best place to prepare for a job in the kitchen. There are many courses to choose from around the country.
If you are not able to take up a formal course, there are still plenty of opportunities to work your way up. You could start as a kitchen attendant and apply for any training your employer can offer.
Further information on becoming a commis chef